So it’s only 4 weeks until Baby Grose is due to make an appearance and I have finally got round to packing my bag for the hospital. With Sebastian, I was induced a week past my due date but I did not want to tempt fate by leaving it to the last minute if there is even the slightest chance of this baby arriving early.
Assuming I have another natural birth, I will be staying in hospital for a total of 4 nights. I learnt some useful lessons from my hospital stay with Sebastian and I have definitely tried to be more practical when packing this time around.
Although I keep referring to my hospital “bag”, I actually prefer to use a small wheeled suitcase as I can fit more in and move it around more easily. I also plan to pack a Thirty-One Organising Utility Tote with all of my toiletries, snacks,reading material and electronic gadgets so that they are readily accessible. I love these bags as they have lots of external pockets, heaps of room inside and really strong handles.
So here is a list of all the items I will be packing…
- Dressing Gown – I have ordered a custom-made Flannel-Lined Kimono Dressing Gown on Etsy in a lovely brightly coloured fabric to wear for those first mummy and baby photos!
- Slippers – the only footwear you really need when you are in hospital!
- 2 Nighties
- 2 Pairs of i&u Lounge Pants – I had seen these trousers advertised in a magazine and am so glad that I found them. They are made from a natural bamboo fabric and are just so soft and comfortable.
- 2 Long Cardigans
- 3 Sleeveless Tops
- Underwear – last time I packed disposable underwear for my hospital stay but never again as it was so uncomfortable! Instead I have bought an inexpensive multi-pack of black knickers that I can throw away afterwards.
- 2 Sports Bras
- Lovely Going Home Outfit – I want to wear something that makes me feel good when I leave the hospital and I have opted for some patterned Harem trousers and a bright red knitted v-neck jumper. I will also pack some pumps and a pashmina.
- Cleansing wipes
- Day Moisturiser
- Night Moisturiser
- Toothbrush & Toothpaste
- Shower Gel & Body Puff
- Self-Foaming Razor
- Body Cream
- Maternity Pads
- Moist Toilet Wipes – much more comfortable than using regular toilet paper after having stitches.
- Shampoo & Conditioner
- Hairdryer/Hair Straighteners
- Dry Shampoo
- Lip Balm
- BB Cream
- Cream Blusher
- Clinique Moisture Surge Refreshing Eye Mask
- Clarins Beauty Flash Balm
- Eye Mask – Useful if you are trying to take a nap during the day and need to block out the lights.
- Going Home Outfit – I have bought a really cute striped sleepsuit from Seed.
- Knitted Blanket – I also found the most beautiful colour block blanket in Seed that I simply could not resist buying.
- Comforter – Sebastian adores his Dizzy Dog comforter, so I have chosen Lizzie Lamb for the new baby.
- Sleeping Bags – We used the Love to Swaddle Sleeping Bags with Sebastian as he would always wriggle out when we tried to swaddle him with a muslin or blanket.
- Muslins – I will also pack a couple of my favourite Aden & Anais Muslin Swaddles in case the new baby does not like being in a sleeping bag.
- 2 Hats
- 2 Pairs of Mittens
- Dummies – Sebastian only used a dummy for 3 or 4 months but it was an absolute god-send during that time and I wish I had thought to pack one in my hospital bag last time.
- Dried Cranberries
- Chewing Gum/Mints
- Cartons of Protein Drink
- Breakfast Biscuits
- Water Bottle
- Miniature Bottle of Champagne – We took a small bottle of Moet with us when I had Sebastian but never got round to drinking it, so I am determined to have a celebratory glass of bubbles in the hospital this time around!
Entertainment & Miscellaneous
- Notepad & Pen
- ‘Best Brother’ T-Shirt for Sebastian
- ‘Now We Have A Baby’ Board Book for Sebastian
Hopefully I will not need my suitcase for another few weeks but it never hurts to be prepared!